Ten years ago I started working full-time as a web developer, leaving behind my career in Physics. It is a decision I have never regretted. For the last decade I have been able to spend my days working on what, for a long time, was mostly a hobby. My passion for developing websites continues today.
This is the website of Andy Carter a PHP and jQuery web developer in the Steel City. Working with CakePHP (and a bit of Textpattern and Drupal too).
Semver is a popular way of versioning applications and software libraries. However, if you use
git tag to list out all your tagged versions of a Git repository you’ll probably find the tags returned are not listed in the expected order. That’s because by default Git uses lexicographic order, also known as dictionary or alphabetical order. Therefore,
1.10.0 will come before
1.2.0 when listing the tags in ascending order.
Nice little runthrough of what
Did you know that if you mistype a Git command you can automatically run the suggested fix? I’ve been using Git for many years now and only just come across this feature today. To enable it you need to assign a value to the config setting
For the last few months I’ve been using a great app for working with databases called TablePlus. I want to share with you some of the reasons why I like it. Just to be clear, this is a personal piece; I have not been paid to write this and have no affiliation with TablePlus or its developers. I simply love using it and here’s why.
Visual Studio Code is hot stuff right now and is quickly becoming the editor of choice for developers worldwide. It’s available for Macs, Windows and Linux and best of all it’s free. These are what I consider the essential Visual Studio Code extensions for PHP developers to improve your productivity.
A look at using PHP traits with Laravel’s Eloquent models, hooking them up with events and making them configurable.
- RT @addyosmani: If you want a fast site, test on slow hardware. regularly. 20 February 2020
- RT @WebDevLuke: Before I got into #webperf, I thought older devices weren't worth testing. Tech has moved on so we can ship more code to th… 13 February 2020
- It seems that since Laravel switched to using SemVer, some people are getting a little upset that major versions ar… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 12 February 2020
- RT @cakephp: CakePHP 4.1 will feature a reworked debugger with formatted output that has links for your IDE of choice #CakePHP #oss #phpc #… 12 February 2020
- Thanks for having me @dotnetsheff, it was good to meet you all. I had some interesting questions fired at me about… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 5 February 2020