Using Git hooks to encourage a branch naming convention and inject an issue number in commit messages using the current branch name.
This is the website of Andy Carter a PHP and jQuery web developer in the Steel City. Working with CakePHP (and a bit of Textpattern and Drupal too).
If your development and production environments don’t match you can easily get tripped up when the time comes to deploy to the live server. It’s not too uncommon for developers to find themselves working with one version of PHP and using another in an app or website’s final destination. If you use Composer to manage PHP packages it would be nice to be able to take this into account to avoid any nasty surprises post deployment. Thankfully Composer has this covered.
TravisCI is a great service for running your continuous integration scripts, but when something isn’t working it can be a pain to resolve. One way of testing your script in order to fix it is to install Travis locally using Docker.
Have you ever found yourself stuck with gibberish characters in a database that you’ve just imported? Is your data looking like someone’s tried to mask expletives? Then perhaps you’ve found yourself exporting a latin1 encoded database containing UTF-8 characters.
A look at using PHP traits with Laravel’s Eloquent models, hooking them up with events and making them configurable.
Package managers like Composer for PHP and NPM for Node have become essential tools for simplifying a developer’s life. A package manager is a tool for keeping track of what you’ve installed, as well as installing and upgrading packages. They also check for dependencies and compatibility. Bower is a package manager for the web.
A beginners guide to the task runner Gulp. Taking a look at why you should use it and why it is possibly better than Grunt.
- It's a beautiful sunny evening in Sheffield and there are dinosaurs in the local park! #sheffield… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 23 May 2018
- "Most GDPR emails unnecessary and some illegal, say experts" theguardian.com/technology/201… #GDPR 22 May 2018
- RT @MrStu84: Charitable fundraising time, again! 🏃🏼💨 justgiving.com/fundraising/st… 17 May 2018
- RT @timberners_lee: The Senate voted to protect #NetNeutrality. Thank you @SenMarkey , @SenJohnKennedy , @lisamurkowski , @SenatorCollins a… 16 May 2018
- RT @brad_frost: npm install pic.twitter.com/W2HlH5zpx8 14 May 2018