Introducing a simple Sublime Text package that generates Sublime project files for a directory.
This is the website of Andy Carter a PHP and jQuery web developer in the Steel City. Working with CakePHP (and a bit of Textpattern and Drupal too).
An article on using Amazon’s AWS service for processing videos I recently put together for Evoluted’s Think Tank website.
A PHP question I particularly like to ask candidates at a job interview is to explain a bit of code that includes the
$$ syntax for variable variables. It’s great if the candidate is already familiar with this feature of PHP; but what’s more important to me is that once the candidate understands how this syntax works that they can describe potential issues with using it.
Using Git hooks to encourage a branch naming convention and inject an issue number in commit messages using the current branch name.
If your development and production environments don’t match you can easily get tripped up when the time comes to deploy to the live server. It’s not too uncommon for developers to find themselves working with one version of PHP and using another in an app or website’s final destination. If you use Composer to manage PHP packages it would be nice to be able to take this into account to avoid any nasty surprises post deployment. Thankfully Composer has this covered.
Package managers like Composer for PHP and NPM for Node have become essential tools for simplifying a developer’s life. A package manager is a tool for keeping track of what you’ve installed, as well as installing and upgrading packages. They also check for dependencies and compatibility. Bower is a package manager for the web.
A beginners guide to the task runner Gulp. Taking a look at why you should use it and why it is possibly better than Grunt.
- RT @EdKrassen: Since @realDonaldTrump isn’t there to see it, whatever you do, don’t make this go viral. This is what a real crowd looks li… 13 July 2018
- RT @marcelpociot: A lesser-known @laravelphp feature: You can define your IDE/editor in your config/app.php file to let the Whoops error ha… 11 July 2018
- I've found myself using `sudo !!` a lot recently. 10 July 2018
- RT @lornajane: For an open, distributed and inclusive web, use mailing lists, open standards, and ... RSS. Loved this post from @aral on R… 10 July 2018
- Nice to have a relaxing afternoon with a beer to cool down in this summer heat. ☀️🍺🕶️ pic.twitter.com/KHIDJ86MMJ 8 July 2018