This is the website of Andy Carter a PHP and jQuery web developer in the Steel City. Working with CakePHP (and a bit of Textpattern and Drupal too).
Whilst working on a site I’ve been developing using a Laravel Homestead Vagrant box I discovered that the box’s clock had drifted out of sync with my laptop by about 10 minutes. Normally this wouldn’t be much of an issue for me, but in my case I was trying to authenticate via an API using OAuth and that time difference was causing the authentication to fail. The solution to my authentication issue was to reset Homestead’s clock to the correct time, but obviously over time this would likely go out of sync again.
The other night I downloaded a fresh install of Laravel 5.4 using Homestead as my development server and quickly hit upon issues running Mix, Laravel’s Webpack API.
If you need to order results from a MySQL query by a specific field value first then there’s a couple of approaches you can use. Let’s use as an example a table of countries where we want to order alphabetically but put the United Kingdom first.
PHP traits provide a convenient means of sharing methods between classes. There are times though that we may need to override or extend a method defined in a trait attached to a class. Let’s take a look at how we can achieve this.
Package managers like Composer for PHP and NPM for Node have become essential tools for simplifying a developer’s life. A package manager is a tool for keeping track of what you’ve installed, as well as installing and upgrading packages. They also check for dependencies and compatibility. Bower is a package manager for the web.
A beginners guide to the task runner Gulp. Taking a look at why you should use it and why it is possibly better than Grunt.
- RT @JayseDavid: @United overbook #flight3411 and decided to force random passengers off the plane. Here's how they did it: https://t.co/Qfe… 11 April 2017
- Theresa May has officially triggered the countdown to the day we can finally see the back of Nigel Farage's smug face. #brexit 29 March 2017
- RT @laravelnews: Is it needle before haystack, or haystack before needle? The life of a #php developer. instagram.com/p/BR2AS5oBFmP/ 22 March 2017
- It looks like Chrome is making performance improvements to tabbed browsing 😀 arstechnica.com/information-te… 15 March 2017
- So @github went black and now @StackOverflow has gone white, not sure I like either design change. #github #stackoverflow 14 February 2017