The first stable release of CakePHP 3 came out earlier this week so I’ve started the process of updating my Cake plugins. The first one to be updated is VideoEmbed (on the basis that it seems to be the most popular).
This is the website of Andy Carter a PHP and jQuery web developer in the Steel City. Working with CakePHP (and a bit of Textpattern and Drupal too).
As every good developer knows the performance of their code is important. When building websites we want them to be light and fast to give the end-user a fantastic experience. However, far too often developers prefer to take shortcuts to make their lives easier, even at the expense of the site’s performance.
It seems that Events are an often ignored feature of the CakePHP framework. Introduced in version 2.1 the events system provides a means of applying logic that generally doesn’t belong in a model or controller. Developing in Cake is all about its fat models and skinny controllers, but there are some things that belong in neither, and shouldn’t really be placed in a model just to make it fatter!
Social Share is a new CakePHP plugin for creating links to share content on numerous social networks and bookmarking sites.
A new version of arc_meta for Textpattern is now available.
Version 1.3 adds support for section and category images for open graph and Twitter cards. The limits on the length of meta titles and descriptions has also been increased, although it is recommended to keep these short to benefit from there use for SEO.
Package managers like Composer for PHP and NPM for Node have become essential tools for simplifying a developer’s life. A package manager is a tool for keeping track of what you’ve installed, as well as installing and upgrading packages. They also check for dependencies and compatibility. Bower is a package manager for the web.
A beginners guide to the task runner Gulp. Taking a look at why you should use it and why it is possibly better than Grunt.
- Just seen a dark comedy at the cinema featuring a plane crash with a suicidal pilot. Very topical! 28 March 2015
- Sass Mixins are better than extends according to the numbers: tech.bellycard.com/blog/sass-mixi… #sass #webperformance #css 27 March 2015
- Typical, the one day I decide to take the tram into work and this happens! pic.twitter.com/wWm68a6Ruq 27 March 2015
- Just posted: VideoEmbed for CakePHP 3 andy-carter.com/blog/videoembe… #cakephp 26 March 2015
- New release of arc_social_share for Textpattern - fixes bug with getPocket andy-carter.com/txp/arc_social… #textpattern 26 March 2015